home about me recipes morsels

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Savory Zucchini Casserole

Happy Sunday! 

I hope you are all enjoying a nice weekend filled with relaxation and sunshine!  We have been so busy lately doing stuff around our house, including building our first massive above ground vegetable garden.  I cannot wait until we have fresh herbs and vegetables from our garden to make this tasty recipe I have to share with you today.  

I got this recipe from my friend Ron's mom.  Ron constantly used to talk about this casserole so I knew that I had to try it.  His mom was so kind to share this recipe with me and now it's one of my go-to summer recipes.

The consistency of this recipe is less like a true casserole and more like a corn bread (minus the corn - of course).  I love to make this savory casserole to serve alongside pulled pork and BBQ baked beans.  It is the perfect addition to a great summer meal!

Savory Zucchini Casserole

Serves 12-15

3 cups zucchini, shredded (about 2.5 medium zucchini)
1/2 cup onion, chopped or shredded
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
1 cup Bisquick
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Oregano (1 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/2 cup veggie or canola oil
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 9x13" casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.

Shred zucchini using a hand shredder or food processor.   The shredding blade on the food processor gets this task accomplished in less than 2 minutes.  I also use the same blade to shred the onion right into the zucchini mixture.

Combine zucchini, onion, garlic and parmesan cheese in bowl.  Combine Bisquick, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano is separate bowl. 

Add oil and eggs to zucchini mixture and gently stir.  Once combined, add Bisquick mixture and stir until moist and blended.

Pour mixture into greased casserole dish and bake until top is light golden brown - approximately 35 to 40 minutes.

Cool on wire rack and cut into squares.  Best served warm or at room temperature.  Enjoy!

NOTE:  I also used the shredding blade on my food processor to shred the parmesan cheese.  I found this to be easy and super simple.  If you do not have a food processor, a hand grater works just as well.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

Stay tuned this week for lots of great posts and recipes - including the marriage of these with one of my favorite candy bars (OMG - to die for!) and my famous banana bread.  I'll also be blogging about our veggie garden and of course, my favorite little guy's birthday.  I can't believe my sweet sweet little Henry is going to be four years old this week!!

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness this looks so amazing! I am definitely going to give this a try when zucchini pops up in the garden. xo

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...