home about me recipes morsels

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookie Crunch Bars

Today is a special day - my step-dad's birthday!  Steve is a wonderful guy and I am very lucky to be able to call him my dad.  It's a complicated story to explain how he came into my life, but - although we share no blood relation, he has and always will be my dad.  He has been there for me through thick and thin and stood by me in the tough times when others didn't.  My life has forever been changed because of him and Carl, Henry & I (little baby H too) love him dearly.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that some of my fondest memories growing up with Steve involve food.  He has a sweet tooth like no other and I know I can always count on him for a taste of anything I make.  We have a lot of the same food similarities but one that I was never 100% sold on was butterscotch.  While I do enjoy a little bit every now and then, it's never been my top choice.  Steve, on the other hand, LOVES butterscotch.


Since his special birthday is today and I wanted to send him something that he loves - I decided to create a new recipe just for him.  As I was cutting these bars up and melting my caramel for the drizzle, the rebel inside of me snatched up some crumbs and I was blown away! These bars are delicious and so decadent.  The butterscotch just throws them over the top. I am seriously questioning why the heck my taste buds have fooled me for so long.



Even though these bars probably won't make it to Steve-o until tomorrow (darn snail mail) - I couldn't hold back sharing this recipe any longer.  Also, I'm pretty sure if I pushed this post off one more day - I wouldn't have anything left to photograph!  yes, trust me - that are that. good.


Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookie Crunch Bars

Makes 15-20 good sized cookie bars

2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 and 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 heaping cups of quick or old fashioned oats, uncooked
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
1 and 1/2 cups caramel bits (1 cup for caramel drizzle and 1/2 cup to stir into cookie mixture)
1 cup of rice cereal
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.   Spray a 9 x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together with mixer.  Add vanilla and eggs; beat well.  In a separate bowl - combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt.  Add dry mixture into wet mixture and stir until combined.  Add oats, butterscotch chips  and caramel bits.  Once combined, gently add in rice cereal - stir and press into pan.

Bake for 30 minutes.  Cool on wire rack.  When completely cool, cut into bars and place evenly spaced on a wire rack.  Place wax paper under wire rack to catch caramel drizzle.

Heat the remaining cup of caramel bits with the tablespoon of heavy cream over medium-high heat.  Continuously stir until mixture is thin and runny.  Using a spoon, gently drizzle the caramel over cookie bars.  Let sit to set.  Enjoy!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.  



Happy Birthday, Steve-o - I hope you enjoy your birthday treats. We love you and can't wait to see you soon!! xoxo
.................................................

Thank you to all of you who have submitted your comments/votes on the gender for little baby H.  I am loving hearing everyone's guesses - so keep them coming!  I have decided that the prize will be a gift card to either Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts - winners choice.

PS:  For those of you who have commented as unknown or anonymous, I have not published those comments.  If you'd like to be entered into this little contest - please make sure your name is either in the name field or the comment field.  I just want to make sure I know who to contact in case you are the big winner!


If you haven't voted - what are you waiting for!?  Click HERE to vote. 

.................................................

Lastly,  Today I am blogging over at CafeMom about my quest to find a good work/life balance.  Click HERE to go check it out!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Next time you are here you have to try the butterscotch bread pudding at Tuscarora mill! One of our faves

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...