home about me recipes morsels

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

First Recipe: Very Berry Baked Oatmeal

I am still learning the ropes around here and have a LONG way to go.  Thank you to everyone who has stopped by and also started following "Baking it on My Own" on Twitter and Facebook.  I have heard a few comments that the widgets for Facebook and Twitter [to the right] seem to not be working for some Firefox versions.  If anyone is having any issues with the website, please contact me at bakingitonmyown@gmail.com. I hope to get the issues resolved as soon as possible.  I'm a bit overwhelmed but excited to get this blog moving along.  It is going to take a little while until I get everything perfect, so I apologize in advance for some of the wackiness you will see on here in the coming weeks.  I have a lot to learn... and by a lot, I really mean - A TON!

Now onto the first recipe -

I am not one to enjoy sweet-ish type breakfasts.  I am a savory girl - through and through.  If the world was run by me, I would eat eggs benedict and corned beef hash each and everyday.  Unfortunately, I do not run the world and my waist/my work schedule do not accomodate such luxuries.  5:00am comes a little too fast during the week and I need to get something in my system to keep me motivated and avoid nawing off my fingers off by 11am.  This breakfast is the perfect solution to that problem.  The best part about this recipe is that I make it on Sunday and have a square for every breakfast throughout the week.  It re-heats great in the microwave and tastes just like it came right out of the oven!  The mixture of berries and milk/cream is delicious and certainly keeps me full until my mid-morning snack.  I mix up the recipe most weeks by adding different berry combinations and it really has become a breakfast that I look forward to!

Very Berry Baked Oatmeal
[Recipe adapted from Quaker]

Serves 6-8

2 and 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 cups 2% milk
1/3 cup light or heavy cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg (optional)
1 cup assorted berries (I used blackberries and strawberries in this recipe)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.

In large bowl - combine oats, granulated sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg (if desired).  In a separate bowl - combine milk, cream, eggs and vanilla.  Whisk liquid mixture until blended.  Add liquid mixture to oat mixture and stir until well combined.  Pour mixture into baking dish.  Sprinkle berries evenly over the surface.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until center jiggles slightly.
NOTE:  Oven times may vary. You should see almost no liquid.  If you do, you need to cook the oatmeal longer.
Serve warm.  Cut into squares and enjoy!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...