Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Old Fashioned Date Filled Cookies

At the beginning of the month, this gorgeous lady turned eighty-nine years young....


This is Carl's grandmother, Elizabeth, and she is quite possibly one of the sweetest ladies known to mankind.  I was first introduced to her cooking a little over 7 years ago when Carl and I first started dating. The very first recipe of hers I tried were these delicious date filled cookies.

I know what you're thinking - DATES?! BLEH.  I said the same thing at first... that was until I bit into one of these delicious morsels and life has never been the same since.  In the past few years, Carl's grandmother has handed over her recipes to the family and cut back on her cooking.  A few years ago, she re-located to an assisted living facility and sadly, had to give up her kitchen.  Before our last visit to New Hampshire, I asked her if she wanted to assist me in making these cookies and she was all for it.  She was quick to let me know that assisting really meant "watching" or in other words - bossing me around... but I really wouldn't have it any other way.  She was dressed to the nines when I picked her up and even called a few hours before wondering when I was going to come pick her up.  We had a wonderful day and being able to "cook" with her really warmed my heart.  This was definitely a great memory I'll have with her for many years to come. 





Grandmother's Old Fashioned Date Filled Cookies

Makes just over 2 dozen 4-inch round cookies

COOKIES:

1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup shortening
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients in bowl.  Cut in shortening.  Add wet ingredients and mix until well combined.

Roll dough out on a floured surface.

Cut circles and place on cookie sheet.  Add filling [recipe below] to center of cookie.

Place additional cookie circle (see note) on top of cookie + filling and gently press around edges.

NOTE:  Cut a small slit in the middle of the cookie circle BEFORE placing it on the other cookie with jam.

Cook in a 350 degree F oven for 10-12 minutes.

FILLING:

1/2 lb dates, cut up
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pot.  Cook mixture on medium heat until it starts to thicken.   The filling should be close to jam consistency (not watery) when done.


Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

Doesn't Grandma's touch just make everything taste better?

Do you have a prized recipe that your Grandma used to make/makes?   

If so, please leave a comment below - I would love to hear them!
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I am partial to Grandmother's grinders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom used to make these every holiday. It was one of our family traditions. Now that my Mom is gone I treasure those moments in time even more.

      Delete
  2. I'll second Nicoles comment. These cookies really are the best! Although the grinders are great there are a few other recipes besides these cookies that beat the grinders:

    - Strawberry Shortcake
    - Chicken and Biscuits
    - Grape Nut Custard
    - Governors Casserole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this recipe, with pictures. Growing up my mother use to make these for us at Christmas time. I've wanted this for some time now. They are soooooooo good. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks soooo much for posting this...I have been searching forever for my Family Recipe, and this sounds pretty close!♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Date filled cookies from the Quality Bakery in good ole Ann Arbor, MI - hated to see them close~~~
    going to make some myself - nothing better than homemade

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...